Home Recipe for Rose Mehalabya (Milk Pudding)
In this post, we will talk about an easy recipe for making Rose Mehalabya (Milk Pudding) at home. Arabic style milk pudding infused with a touch of rose and orange blossom waters, adorned with rose syrup topping and garnished with caramelized pistachios. Talk about eye candy!
Recipe Source: Cleobuttera
Total Time : 2 HOURS 45 MINUTES
Prep Time : 15 MINUTES
Cook Time : 30 MINUTES
Additional Time : 2 HOURS
FOR THE MEHALABYA (MILK PUDDING):
- 3 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (125g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (56g) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom water, more or less according to taste
- 1 teaspoon rose water, more or less according to taste
FOR THE ROSE SYRUP TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons rose syrup concentrate (sharbat ward)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons (5g) cornstarch
FOR THE PISTACHIO TOPPING:
- 2 teaspoons (10g) unsalted butter
- 100g (about 1 cup) unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water
TO MAKE THE MEHALABYA (MILK PUDDING):
- In a medium saucepan, off the heat, whisk together the milk, heavy whippingcream, sugar and cornstarch until well combined and the cornstarch has dissolved completely without any visible lumps.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a full boil, whisking constantly. Continue to boil for a few more seconds until the mixture thickens and large bubbles form around the surface.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the orange blossom and rose waters.
- Pour into cups and refrigerate uncovered until the surface has begun to set; about 20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the Rose Syrup Topping.
TO MAKE THE ROSE SYRUP TOPPING:
- In a very small saucepan, off the heat, whisk together the rose syrup concentrate, water and cornstarch until well combined.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a full boil, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and large bubbles form around the surface.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and spoon a thin layer of the rose topping over the surface of each mehalabya cup, tilting the cup to cover evenly.
- Refrigerate until set and cold; about 2 hours or up to overnight.
TO MAKE THE PISTACHIO TOPPING:
- In a medium skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter then add in the pistachios. Sauté the pistachios in the butter, stirring frequently, until just beginning to toast. Add in the sugar and stir until melted and lightly caramelized around the pistachios. Off the heat, then add in the orange blossom water. Transfer to another bowl, and allow to cool completely.
- Spoon the pistachio topping evenly over the cooled mehalabeya cups. Serve right away or keep refrigerated until its time to serve. Enjoy the Rose Mehalabeya cold and at cool room temperature.
- This mehalabeya is a great all purpose base that you can infuse with the flavoring of your liking. Omit the rose and orange blossom waters if you like and add vanilla, for example, instead. You can also leave out the rose syrup topping and add your favorite nut mix instead of pistachios.
- Feel free to serve the mehalabeya, family-style in one big bowl or dish instead of individual servings.
- This recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled or even cut in half or quartered.
Make some delicious Rose Mehalabya with the help of this recipe and share with your friends and family. Leave your comments below.